PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:49:45 -0600
Howard Eisman wrote:

> For the fun of it and to make a point:
>
> My challenge is for psychoanalytic theory supporters to (1) take a
> psychoanalytic concept, (2) express it in plain English (no
> psychoanalytic jargon allowed), and (3) describe how said concept is a
> contribution to an understanding of the human condition.
>
> Why? I'll bet that most psychoanalytic concepts need jargon and an
> audience aware of the controversies within the world of psychoanalysis
> to have much meaning. Take psychoanalytic concepts out of a
> psychoanalytic context and they disappear.
>
> Let's see.
>
> Howard D. Eisman, Ph.D.

Now this is a splended idea!  I have been in touch with these dialogues
for months.  I read them and move on, as if someday I might have
"insight" into just exactly what I'm supposed to get and then perhaps
venture a comment.  I have gained some useful knowledge, but have also
wondered why it is so essential to use the jargon to the exclusion of
simple straighforward discussion.  Psycholanalytic concepts won't
disappear they will in fact become more concrete and useful.

Sharon