PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:02:43 EDT
I am looking for a psychiatrist/psychotherapist to evaluate a  28 yr. old
single male. This is a young man I have known socially for years. He lives at
home with his parents, a loving, successful and concerned couple in their
early 60's. Their son has had trouble all his life at least since he was
eight and the family moved to NJ from London when father took a position for
his London firm in their NYC office. The boy has had significant learning and
social problems and was in special education throughout his school career
which ended with high school graduation. When I first met him socially he
seemed slightly autistic or at least 'odd'. He doesn't talk much, is socially
isolated and now at 28 works as a grocery clerk. He always enjoyed Boy Scouts
and became an Eagle Scout and continues at 28 to relate to his former scout
troop, by helping his former scout leaders. Interestingly he has traveled
abroad extensively and gets along well on his own when traveling, but always
travels by himself. He does not seem to make friends and spends all his time
when not at work home with his parents. Recently his parents feel he is
becoming more and more withdrawn. I saw him briefly in a social setting a
month ago and wondered if he had a depression superimposed on whatever his
baseline characterological/neurological difficulties might be. His parents
are considering retiring out of state and are consumed with worry and
uncertainty about how to help him. Father retired early and the two spend
much time together golfing, doing odd projects and so on. My impression
always has been that the parents don't know what to do with him and are
over-involved with him in ways that aren't necessarily helpful. Though father
is very successful I think he is a self made man, and is not particularly
comfortable socially himself, and he is not particularly sophisticated for
that matter. (He is a hell of a golfer!) The parents want to be involved in
the evaluation process. He has seen a psychiatrist in the past and took
prozac and weekly psychotherapy. They can commute to Morristown, Basking
Ridge, Madison, Summit, Montclair, Short Hills and environs.

Please contact me privately,
Thanks,
Joseph Cronin
Chicago