PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Knock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 00:16:27 -0600
Robert White wrote:

> Lee Woodson wrote:
> : I think the response from Geoffrey Blowers is most comprehensive in
> : regards to your question.  However, I am also of the opinion that the
> : claims that Masson makes are not verified because the same material that
> : he translated have been sealed in the archives for 50 more years at Anna
> : Freuds and the foundations direction.  If this has changed then could you
> : let us know.
>
> This is my problem with Masson's assertions as well. Exactly who
> can refute his claims until the archives are opened? Moreover,
> Masson found some letters while rifiling through Freud's old desk
> while Anna Freud had allowed him to stay in her home for research
> purposes. Frankly, Masson's comments will be a thorn in our sides
> until the embargo is lifted.

What justification do you see in the "embargo"?

If you were to speculate about the highest justification for the
"embargo", what would it be?

(These are two entirely different questions.)

Is Masson's veracity questioned because of his position as an iconoclast
or because of his reprehensable personal conduct?

Why will his comments be a "thorn" in our sides?  Are his statements so
disturbing?

Jim