PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Michael Bernet <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:43:38 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/00 11:25:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< "What is the psychology of being the son of a famous father?"  seems
 reasonable and interesting, and bipartisan, too.  I have the sense there
 might possibly be a way to write an article like this and remain within
 professional boundaries.

I agree with you, that's an interesting and, in this year, a bipartisan
issue.  However, I would say that educators, historians, novelists and
political analysts have at least as much to contribute as psychologists and
psychoanalysts.

Since our views are likely by the press to be adorned with the stamp of
authority, and since commentators grasp for straws in Tweedeledum/Tweedledee
elections, I would still hold that we would do well to postpost our analyses
until after the elections.

And let's keep a sense of perspective.  Trying to figure out the psychology
and dynamics of public figures based on public accounts is at best a guessing
game. Play it, for fun, amongst your friends and neighbors, but don't claim
that psychology or psychoanalysis has given your opinions an edge over those
of ordinary mortals.

Michael Bernet
New Rochelle, NY