PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:46:31 -0600
RE:  Distinguished Prof. Paul Barrett BACKS Jesness' VIEWS

Note:  To ***read*** the "30 page document" Prof. Barrett refers to go to:

http://www.future.net/~bradj/it.html

Now, quoting Prof. Paul Barrett WITH PERMISSION, from a newsgroup (with
headers provided).  [(Sorry to say but because of the thug, John Grohol,
Psy.D., Prof. Barrett's professional and serious response to these real
issues was cross-posted to alt.usenet.kooks **AND** to
alt.brad.jesness.die.die.die)]

Newsgroups:
sci.psychology.psychotherapy,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.brad.jesness.die.die.die

Hello

With regard to the recent postings by Brad Jesness, and the use of my name
etc. as a supporter of his documents etc.... let me clear up one or two
issues.

I agree that the major foci of Brad's 30 page document are worth considered
professional discussion and some very careful thought. Specifically:

1. The difference between counseling and therapy, including the
consideration of just what constitutes "therapy".
2. The problems with placebo and waitlist controls, and effect sizes in the
controlled studies literature. Further, the whole issue of what constitutes
"therapy" and "outcome" in such studies is problematical.
3. The problem of categorisation boundaries of disorders in the DSM -
reliability issues etc.
4. The problem of diagnostic accuracy/agreement on the part of both
psychiatrists and psychologists.
5. The legal status of the clinical psychologist as an "expert".
6. The overall standards of "practice" mandated by the APA.

However, I'm not sure anyone would disagree that these are some of the most
taxing issues facing the profession. For example, just what is a desired
"outcome" - who "desires" it - how can we measure such outcomes (if at
all?), what constitutes a therapy (such that we can distinguish it from
"non-therapy"? Also, for those who might have digested some of my arguments
concerning science and measurement, I'm sure that the issues now seem even
more problematical - as they should. Remember also that the three volume
series edited by the late Jay Ziskin(1995) provides much of the detailed
legal and technical arguments surrounding the issues encompassed in Brad's
documents. Of course, several critics have accused him of being selective in
certain areas - but the sheer weight and breadth of evidence brought forward
by the various contributors dwarfs such arguments.

So, this is where I agree with Brad that the APA should be considering if
there is any kind of firm recommendations that could be made concerning
clinical practice. However, this is easy to propose - but damned difficult
to see how an organisation can approach the issues in a formal manner.

As to calling the APA "child-killers", and Prof Seligman various names -
well, of course, I do not support any of this - neither do I support the
intemperance, the bad-mouthing, the name calling, or all the other colorful
activity that Brad brings to his messages. As ever, I respond to the
argument and logic, not the histrionics. So, although some readers might
feel I am mad to even have my name mentioned in close proximity to Brad's, I
hope they can see what I feel are the serious points that lie embedded in
Brad's document. I presume (and I may be very wrong here) that this is how
the other "named" names feel.

Regards ... Paul

P.S. Should anybody wish to quote or cross-post this message, feel free. As
always, I stand by everything I post.

-Reference-
Ziskin, J.Z. (1995) Coping with Psychiatric and Psychological Testimony
Vols. 1, 2, and 3. Law and Psychology Press. [snip]

P. Barrett is Chief Scientist, The State Hospital, Carstairs, Scotland,
ML11 8RP, UK & Senior Research Fellow, Clinical Psychology,  Liverpool
University, UK