PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
bob hinshelwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:03:26 -0400
FOR IPA NEWSLETTER

        The centre for psychoanalytic studies, UNIVERSITY OF ESSEX
                        Freud Archive Visiting Professors

        We are very happy to announce that the Centre for Psychoanalytic
Studies in Cochester has recently been donated a large collection of
archival material from the Freud Beneficiaries (through Mark Patterson who
holds the Sigmund Freud copyrights).  We are celebrating these archives by
appointing a series of  Freud Archive Visiting Professors for one term
each.  Selected for outstanding scholarship, they will each give either a
'Town & Gown' public lecture on a topic of their choice or an
Interdepartmental University Seminar  and/or a Master Class related to
archival use.The 1998-9 Visiting Professors are:
        Dr. Mark Solms
        Dr. Ricardo Steiner
        Dr. Juliet Mitchell
 all from the British Psycho-Analytical Society.
        The archive, held in the Special Collection's room at the
University library under carefully regulated conditions, includes original
documents in addition to some 10,000 photocopies of originals scattered
around the world and some 2,000 volumes in many languages. In addition to
these Freud materials, there are also a large quantity of Strachey
documents which are in the process of being catalogued in preliminary form
at the moment. There are yet others stores still to be transferred to the
University. Our archive is open to external scholars from England and
abroad and we would be happy to host anyone linked to the International
Psychoanalytical Association, or other scholars who wish to visit.

We are open to applications or proposals for candidates for future Freud
Archive Visiting Professors.

Joan Raphael-Leff     &     Bob Hinshelwood, Professors,
Centre for Psychoanalytic Studies, University of Essex, Colchester,
Wivenhoe Park, C04 3SQ, UK  Tel:01206-873745 Fax:01206-872746
email:[log in to unmask]   or   [log in to unmask]
        Also visit: http://www.essex.ac.uk