RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:04:46 -0800
The article below is extremely good and thought-provoking.

Cell
Volume 127, Issue 7 , 29 December 2006, Pages 1309-1321
doi:10.1016/j.cell.2006.12.006

Review
The Molecular Genetics of Crop Domestication
John F. Doebley, Brandon S. Gaut and Bruce D. Smith

Abstract
Ten thousand years ago human societies around the globe began to
transition from hunting and gathering to agriculture. By 4000 years ago,
ancient peoples had completed the domestication of all major crop species
upon which human survival is dependent, including rice, wheat, and maize.
Recent research has begun to reveal the genes responsible for this
agricultural revolution. The list of genes to date tentatively suggests
that diverse plant developmental pathways were the targets of Neolithic
'genetic tinkering,' and we are now closer to understanding how plant
development was redirected to meet the needs of a hungry world.

First paragraph (manually typed in by me -- any  errors below are my fault):

Most members of our modern industrial societies have never seen and
would not recognize the unpromising wild plants that are the progenitors
of our remarkably productive crops. Very few members of these societies
would survive if all they had were a field of wild grain and herbs and
their own wits to sustain them. Yet 10,000 years ago, people who could
not read, write, or do calculus prospered on diets composed of wild
plants and animals. Even more remarkably, these ancient peoples began
a plant-breeding program that transformed hundreds of wild plant species
into domesticated crops, including all of the most highly productive
crops - rice, wheat, maize - on which human survival is dependent today.

Abstract (and full-text access, for subscribers only) online at the
ScienceDirect website.

Tom Billings