RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blake Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:34:55 +0800
From: "Wes Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: The importance of food combining!

> There seem to be some inaccuracies in the post I'm responding to, that I'd
> like to point out:
>

> All throughout the book, he gives scientific rationale and quotes various
> scientific literature in an attempt to substantiate his claims. He also
> speaks of his personal experience in working with people (clients),
applying
> the principles.

Anyone can supply scientific references for anything, this does not refelct
it's accuracy.

> >1) food combining is based on the concept that most of the digestion
> >takes place in the stomach and different foods need different "ph's"
> >to digest properly.
>
> It's my understanding that the concept is based on digestion, period. Not
> just in the stomach.
>
> >this is incorrect. First, only about 1-10% of
> >digestion takes place in the stomach.
>
> Most of the protein digestion takes place in the pyloric portion of the
> stomach, in a strong acid environment.

This is not right,  most protein digestion takes place in the small
intestine. This is consistent with any mainstream university teachings as
was the case with the two universities I have studied phisiology at.

> >2) the enzymes that are in food are in food for the benefit of the
> >food and not us. When they hit the stomach, these enzymes (which are
> >small protein molecules) are broken down into their amino acid
> >components and do not act as enzymes.
>
> Howell's long-time research (over the course of decades) found that
enzymes
> from food are active in the cardiac portion of the stomach. He said that
on
> average, this lasts for about 45-60 minutes, prior to the food moving into
> the pyloric portion of the stomach, and later, the small intestine.

Howell is well known for his lack of scientific credibility. Read this
article from beyondveg which documents the untruths of the claims about
enzymes.

Do "food enzymes" significantly enhance digestive efficiency and longevity?
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2b.shtml#enzymes

Blake