SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Clay Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:41:28 -0500
Mysticism, Delusion, and the Appetite for Wonder
(by Clay Stinson)

PS:  If you were telling me the truth about your "abnormal MRI" then, in
light of BOTH our array of "mystical" experiences, I believe that my "broken
brain" hypothesis has yet another PRESUMPTION in its favour.  In other
words, we both have strong EMPIRICAL evidence (i.e., my DigiTrace EEG and
your abnormal MRI) that we do indeed have broken brains.  Additionally, it
is well known that some types of neurological disorders have, as their
symptomatological manifestations, what are conventionally called "mystical"
experiences.  And, if you are not trying to make the argument that only
"broken brains" can perceive these "transcendental realities" then I believe
the most parsimonious hypothesis in our context is that ANY interpretations
that experiences like ours gives us (i) insight into the nature of Deep
Reality, (ii) experiences of Other Realms of Existence, and so on, is quite
DELUSIVE.

-------

PPS:  Letters to and from LauraBee

Subj: Re: Epilepsy and Mysticism