SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Melanie Lazarow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:27:50 +1100
In the Dallas Morning news there are many other articles using and abusing
statistics to lesser and greater degrees. In all cases sources are not
quoted and footnoting is not a feature. To get more accurate reporting
about health or science in newspapers the basic aim of newspapers would
need to change. Sensation sells and advertisers give business to newspapers
that sell. Change this.

There are so many articles that have counter-intuitive statistics, that
don't quote sources or substantiate reporting with interviews. Take this
example from the same newspaper.

Girth of a nation:Doctors warn of health crisis as obesity gains on Americans
http://www.dallasnews.com/specials/obesity/

>Almost 10 years ago, when the number of overweight Americans hovered
>around 25 percent of the population, public-health experts set out to
lower that
>statistic by the century's end. Instead, the population tightened its grip on
>cheeseburgers and remote controls. Obesity rates soared.

>Now, about half the population is at least somewhat overweight. And nearly
>one-quarter of adult Americans are considered obese, carrying an extra 30
>pounds or more.

...many of the same mistakes, over exaggeration, lack of sources, quotes
from experts... Yet why take the cigarette article as an example of bad
science when there are other articles with similar exaggerations,
misleading evidence. If you click on the Health button in the Dallas
Morning Times every article is an example of this type of reporting and
most newspapers do the same. Is "objective scientific truth" the aim of the
articles?

Statistical sources are always questionable. What is being measured? How
was it measured? What kind of sample of the entire population was tested?
What were the assumptions underlying the research? The fact that various
results are quoted in this article giving different statistical outcomes is
of concern showing use of a variety of sources, not quoted in a newspaper
article.

Ron Roizen, your statement about alcohol paradigms in your essay, "How Does
the Nation's 'Alcohol Problem' Change From Era to Era?  Stalking the Social
Logic of Problem-Definition Transformations Since Repeal" asks the
> ...Sixty-Four-Dollar Historical Question ... Should we
>regard the current drift away from the de-politicizing alcoholism paradigm
and
>toward the new, re-politicizing public health approach as historical
progress or
> retrogression?
http://www.roizen.com/ron/postrepeal.htm

The same question arises around smoking, freedom to smoke, how smoking has
been viewed, and how it is viewed today in various parts of the world
compared to the past. And for this reason the link in the article to the
tobacco industry is not a diversion but part of the whole.

At the moment there is a political fight going on between cigarette
manufacturers, doctors and the anti-smoking lobby. It is part of our
present paradigm and in the west the anti-smoking lobby has improved it's
stake in the argument.

This article chosen as an example of poor reporting is a glimpse of part of
the battle being aired in the public domain. It's sources and statistics
are probably as good and as bad as most newspaper reporting. I echo Steve
and Roy's call for better statistics and reporting. The demand is important.

As a social and political animal I do not like seeing tobacco companies
peddle their wares in third world countries where there is less overt
criticism of the tobacco industry. I hope that better research will be done
and that statistics will be used appropriately. My biases are open. I
support the basis of the newspaper report, to limit (by uncoersive means)
the use of cigarettes by people who are stressed and ill. I hope the
Harvard researchers will add weight to this outcome

Melanie Lazarow
History and Philosophy of Science Liaison Librarian
University of Melbourne