SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:34:22 +0100
Brad, Dewey
I do not agree that there is a necessarily a problem here. At this moment we
exist in societies which have the highest level of knowledge about science and
the best scientifically educated population ever. The issue is perhaps that the
best science like the best contemporary philosophy radically displaces human
beings from the centre of things. This displacement is deeply discomforting and
has a similar effect to the questioning of identity that psychoanalysis is
centred on. The issue is not scientific education but the questioning of
identity....

sdv