SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

ScipolicyNews <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:47:28 -0400
For those interested, I am sharing with you several postings from the
evolutionary-psychology discussion group.

Stephen

----- Original Message -----
From: "ScipolicyNews" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Gene Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>;
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: [evol-psych] Margaret Mead and enlightenment

 I met Margaret Mead in the 1970's at an American Associan for the
Advancement of Science meeting in Philadelphia. I had an opportunity to chat
with her a bit after her presentation. She was affiable, interesting, a
pureist, quite open, and charming.

From my discussion with her, I interpret her manipulations of hoaxes that
Gene Anderson describes may have contributed to her goal of enlightenment
and the furtherance of life. Let me explain...

I asked her for her rationale for Western intervention in the lives of
primitive peoples. Since their societies were pure and stable, why introduce
them to Western culture and science/technology and all the problems that go
with them? "Why not just leave the societies alone?"

She explained that in every case where such intervention occurred, the
people were exposed to better medical care, better personal hygiene,
education, and better standard of living. This resulted in more of life.

 Her message is the classical rational for the advancement of science and
reason. She represented such norms, indeed.

 In recent years, primitive society intervention and applied science and
technology in general are viewed as normative and socially constructed.
Today, some ask whether Margaret Meade's work was destructive of nature.
The same question be asked about modern science generally. Such questions
challange the rationale for having science at all.

 John Locke argued that the advancement of reason and the freedom to live
life to the fullest are natural rights. In the modern enlightenment, science
and technology control and harness nature. It is an open ended process.

 Thus, Margaret Meade's work is a milestone. Her legacy is the furtherance
of
universal enlightenment and reason.

Best wishes,

 Stephen Miles Sacks, Ph.D.,