SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Maxwell Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:45:33 +0000
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:19:06 -0600
From: Dean Blobaum <[log in to unmask]>

The University of Chicago Press announces online excerpts from two new
books on how the information age is transforming our culture and our
selves.  Plus an interview/dialogue with the authors.

(1) Read the introduction to the new book by philosopher Albert Borgmann,
_Holding On to Reality: The Nature of Information at the Turn of the
Millennium_.  Borgmann develops a brilliant theory and history of
information, from signs in the natural world to their digitization.

(2) N. Katherine Hayles has just published _How We Became Posthuman:
Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics.  Hayles
investigates the fate of bodies in the information age, ranging from the
history of cybernetics to artificial life, and from Philip K. Dick to Greg
Bear and Neal Stephenson. We have the prologue to her book online.

(3) Hayles and Borgmann talk about humans and machines, cyberculture and
cyberspace in an interview/dialogue.

--------------------------------
Dean Blobaum
The University of Chicago Press

Catalogs, online ordering, and features from our publications at:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/

In making a personal reply, please put in Subject line: Message for Bob Young
Robert Maxwell Young:  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
26 Freegrove Rd., London N7 9RQ, Eng. tel.+44 171 607 8306; fax.+44 171 609
4837.
Professor of Psychotherapy and Psychoanalytic Studies, Centre for
Psychotherapeutic
Studies, University of  Sheffield: http://www.shef.ac.uk/~psysc/
Home page and writings: http://www.human-nature.com
Guides to the Internet: http://www.shef.ac.uk/~psysc/guides.html
'One must imagine Sisyphus happy.' - Camus