SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Arie Dirkzwager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:08:52 +0000
At 12:51 18-4-99 -0700, jonbenn wrote:
>Rationalism is certainly a faith. As Chesterton noted, it takes an act of
>faith to believe the world is comprehensible. Absolute belief in man's
>rationalism is also idolatry, it really is only another expression of self
>worship.
>A topic I'd like to explore more deeply is how ideas about God are really
>the basis of our philosophy, which is really the basis of our science. The
>realtionship between Christianity and modern science is of special interest
>to me.

        This is quite in line with the philosophy of a famous Dutch philosopher
Herman Dooyeweerd ("A New Critique of Theoretical Thought", 1997. Lewiston,
The Edwin Mellen Press) - are you familiar with it? It may help to look at
http://www.basden.demon.co.uk/Dooy which gives summaries of some of his
main ideas.

Arie

BetterSystems,
Prof.Dr.A.Dirkzwager,
Educational Instrumentation Technology,
Computers in Education.
Huizerweg 62,
1402 AE Bussum,
The Netherlands.
voice: x31-35-6981676
FAX: x31-35-6930762
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

When reading the works of an important thinker, look first for the
apparent absurdities in the text and ask yourself how a sensible person
could have written them."  T. S. Kuhn,  The Essential Tension (1977).
Accept that some days you are the statue, and some days you are the bird.