SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Grinnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:05:13 -0600
I have long felt that science education looses an important opportunity
by not paying more attention to the shape of the Earth. Here is an
opportunity to explore how science evolves, and how knowledge develops
even when it appears to contradict everyday perception. We did, after
all, begin with the belief that the earth was flat, and there were
specific observations and experiments that led to a change in prevailing
beliefs. Significant controversies developed during various historical
periods regarding the shape of the earth. And important technologies
developed in relationship to our evolving understanding. What a great
way to teach science!

Fred Grinnell
Professor of Cell Biology and Neuroscience
Director, Program in Ethics in Science and Medicine
UT Southwestern Med Ctr, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, TX  75235-9039
214-648-2181 (T); 214-648-8694 (F)

http://www.swmed.edu/home_pages/grad/webrib/grinnell.htm
http://www.swmed.edu/home_pages/ethics/