SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:16:41 -0000
I read Brad McCormick's posting and also the E-mail he sent direct to me.
 It contains nothing that seems sensitive, so I have taken the liberty of
tacking it below. I hope he does not mind.)  I would reply to them but I am
unable to discern a clear message in his comments.

As far as I can tell, he sems to be saying that scientists and other
professionals sometimes lie in order to maintain the high standards to which
they are comitted.  Accordingly, he seems to be suggesting, when they lie
they should sometimes be applauded for their high motivations, not condemned
for their deceit.  In other words, there is good scientific lying and bad
scientific lying.

Can he confirm that this is what he wants to say?  If so, I would be
interested in examples that do not have political overtones.  I would also
like to know what tests could be applied to distinguish them.

Sincerely

John Hewitt