SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jeremy hunsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:23:39 -0500
Please Distribute:

>>INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0: INTERconnections
>>
>>The Second International Conference of the Association of Internet
>>Researchers
>>OCTOBER 10-14, 2001
>>University of Minnesota
>>Minneapolis-St.Paul Minnesota, USA
>>Deadline for submissions: Friday, March 2, 2001
>>
>>Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
>>
>>Phil Agre, Associate Professor of Information Studies, University of
>>California, Los Angeles, USA
>>
>>Anita Allen-Castellito, Professor of Law and Philosophy, University of
>>Pennsylvania, USA
>>
>>Lisa Nakamura, Assistant Professor of English, Sonoma State University, USA
>>
>>Sheizaf Rafaeli, Head of the Center for the Study of the Information
>>Society and Professor  of Business Administration, University of Haifa, Israel
>>

>>The Internet's ever-increasing points of connection to almost every
>>element of 21st century life have prompted strong interest in
>>understanding the social aspects of cyberspace. The popular press offers
>>wave after wave of speculation and vague forecasts, but what is really
>>needed to help us understand how to live in our wired world is research:
>>research that is collaborative, international, and interdisciplinary.
>>
>>In September 2000, over 300 people attended the first international
>>Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) at the
>>University of Kansas. This Conference built connections among Internet
>>researchers from across a range disciplines and from around the globe. In
>>October of 2001, INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0 will offer an opportunity to
>>reinforce and extend these connections. IR 2.0 will bring together
>>prominent scholars, researchers, practitioners, and students from many
>>disciplines and fields for a program of keynote addresses, paper
>>presentations, formal discussions, and informal exchanges.
>>
>>IR 2.0 will be held on the campus of the University of Minnesota, one of
>>the world's most technologically innovative campuses. The conference will
>>provide opportunities to network, learn from other researchers, hear from
>>leading players in Internet development, and take in the sights and
>>sounds of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
>>
>>The Association of Internet Researchers invites paper, presentation, and
>>panel proposals on topics that address social, cultural, political,
>>economic, and aesthetic aspects of the Internet. We welcome submissions
>>from any discipline, as well as work from those producing new media or
>>working in multimedia studies. Panel presentations which establish
>>connections across disciplines, institutions and/or continents are
>>especially encouraged. We also seek presentations which will make
>>creative use of Internet technologies and techniques, including (but not
>>limited to) digital art and e-poster sessions.
>>
>>We suggest the following as possible themes for proposals.
>>
>>*  communication-based Internet studies
>>*  digital art
>>*  distance education and pedagogy
> [...]

Jeremy Hunsinger                http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC     http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/cyber
526 Major Williams Hall 0130    http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech                   (yes i need to update it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061            (540)-231-7614  icq 5535471