SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:38:28 +0000
lucas

Two questions for you:

1.    is psychoanalysis a science?     In the particular case that the question
refers to the issue of whether it is a science is questioned because it is not
"objective", others refer to quantum mechanics to justify its inclusion within the
frame of what constitutes science. Popper refuses its status as science by using the
criteria of nonfalsifiability....etcetera. In the criteria below asking for a
justification of science based on experimentation, proofs and I suspect granting
science a status of a higher truth than religion and philosophy, it is not clear how
the question would be answered.

2.    is a noncontextual definition of the difference between science and
non-science possible? Quantum mechanics, biology, mechanics, statistics, psychology
would almost certainly be defined as sciences, but alchemy and eugenics probably
would not...

regards

sdv