SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Peter Turland <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 22:57:54 +0100
Hello,

It is observable that our culture has a propensity for calling the same
thing by different names, as though giving a thing a different name, somehow
changes what it is. i.e. sociobiology is now evolutionary physiology. I
think when some terms become common usage they become loaded terms. Which is
probably why we get neologisms in the first place.

Kind of like, depending on ones background, the terms capitalism and
communism can have completely different meanings. I tend to think the terms
creationism and evolution actually refer to the same thing, the numbers
might be different, but they are both descriptions of the same thing.
Evolution might be in a sense much more accurate, but it still only a
description of reality, not reality its self. I think the real difference
between both camps is the emotion attached to their words. For emotions read
neurotransmitters.

Regards

Peter.