SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jonathan German-Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:41:17 +0100
Hi Jose

It follows that if religious belief is an effective measure to address a lack of personality-stability then the actions of those who have a faith-based effectiveness can be attributed to their own personal abilities and characteristics. An analogy could be the case of the leaking car tyre. Once repaired it has an inflatability based on its nature as a car tyre not on the individual component of the patch. This leaves the greatness of the individuals you refer to, undiminished.

Regarding my opinion of how appropriate democracy is, in the context of the human qualities I have referred to, I have thought wistfully of the truth in the quote 'the majority is an ass' but firmly believe the diversity of humanity is a wonderful thing rather than a flaw. Hence, as democracy is an expression of diverse opinions, I think it also must be a wonderful thing. Please do not associate the rationalist perspective with the totalitarian one.

Finally, hard-wiring was one of three possibilities I identified (conditioning, programming or a developmental personality characteristic). There may be others. All these possibilities are not absolute states and hence will be more or less present. Some individuals learn to successfully apply logic to life. This must further diminish the effect of predilection.

Jonathan German-Morris