SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Pitchford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Pitchford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:36:18 +0100
The science behind executions

Lethal injection
is least cruel
of five methods
employed in U.S.
The execution table in the U.S. federal prison in Terre Haute, Ind., where
Timothy McVeigh is scheduled to died Monday.

By David Ropeik
MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR

June 8 —  The execution of Timothy McVeigh spotlights an interesting trend in
the ways we take society’s ultimate revenge against our most notorious
criminals. Over the years, we have looked more and more to science to help us
finds methods to terminate a life that are not, as the law says, “cruel and
unusual.” The lethal injection of Timothy McVeigh will certainly be unusual.
But of the five methods still used in various states for executing prisoners,
lethal injection is arguably the least cruel.

Full text:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/584726.asp