SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:27:19 +0100
Terry
There are endless attempts by human beings of diverse areas of expertise to
place 'man' back at the centre of things - it  remains one of the supreme
failures of what can be regarded, at least here, as failing discourses.
Just because physics, that extraordinarily political science attempts to
maintain and resurrect a religious, neo-spiritual element, does not mean
that it succeeds. The sciences of evolution, psychoanalysis, astronomy and
physics vehemently deny this. To suggest that humans are significant in the
face of the universe is to invite the 'nach drach tory' of supremicism.

Curiously i think that Levinas, that most religious of contemporary
philosophers,  put it quite well '... the finite being that we are cannot
in the final account complete the task of knowledge...' In his modesty he
places the desire for 'knowing' as a relationship with the other... Always
a recognition of not knowing and an awareness of lack. To suggest that
science is detsined to place humans at the centre of things is to remind us
that sciences destiny is to resurrect god after neitsche and modernity
killed it. Personally I believe it is well dead.

However I know that I am a trivial insiginificant creature in the face of
the universe who is just trying to do the best it can...