SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katja Mruck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:26:46 +0200
Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung - Forum: Qualitative Social Research
(FQS)
-- Call for Papers --
Apologies for possible cross postings!

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to consider writing an article for the
forthcoming FQS issue "Subjectivity and Reflexivity in Qualitative
Research". The issue will be published in September 2002, and it will
deal-among others-with the following topics:

- The constructive character of research in the (social) sciences;

- (inter-) subjectivity as a determinant of the (qualitative) research
process;

- epistemological subjectivity: using (self-) reflexivity as an
important tool to access and to develop scientific knowledge.

Research-the process and its products-depends on the characteristics of
the persons involved, on their biological, mental, social, cultural, and
historical etc. make up and/or condition. In this issue, we would like
authors to describe/analyze/discuss this fundamental subjectivity of
any-and also of scientific-knowledge (a) from different scientific and
disciplinary contexts; (b) during different stages of the research
process; (c) according to different types of knowledge as outcomes of
the researchers' efforts, etc.

We presuppose that research is inherently structured by the subjectivity
of the researcher. We therefore do not want authors to limit themselves
by characterizing subjectivity in defensive ways as an epistemological
"deficiency", accompanied by methodological efforts, to minimize/to
eliminate possible "biases". Instead, we are asking for possible ways to
face the epistemological and methodologically challenges in a proactive
way that takes into account this core characteristic of any form of
knowledge. What are the methodological, pragmatic, and research/writing
strategies that result from such a presupposition of subjectivity as an
unavoidable core characteristic of research?

If your research is in one of the above mentioned areas, and if you are
interested in contributing, we would like you to send us a 200-300 word
abstract by the end of November 2001. The manuscripts should be
available in English language and would need to be completed by May 31,
2002. (Because FQS attempts to also reach German and Spanish audiences
in their mother tongues, we would welcome an additional German and/or
Spanish version of your text.) For FQS manuscript guidelines see
http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs-e/layout-hinweise-e.htm.

Please email your abstract to one of the editors listed below by 30.
November 2001:

Franz Breuer: [log in to unmask]
Katja Mruck: [log in to unmask]
Wolff-Michael Roth: [log in to unmask]

--
FQS - Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung
/ Forum: Qualitative Social Research (ISSN 1438-5627)

English -> http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs-eng.htm
German -> http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs.htm