SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 23:21:30 -0000
Brad,
Thank you for your posting.  If it contains a message I am unable to discern
it.

My concern is with scientific lying.  The particular field which concerns me
is has no political overtones beyoond those associated with all scientific
debate.
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.hewitt1/  "A Habit of Lies - How Scientists
Cheat."

As far as I can tell, you seem to be saying that when scientists (and other
professionals) lie, they may well be doing so in order to maintain the high
standards to which they are comitted.  In other words, there is good
scientific lying and bad scientific lying.  Accordingly, scientific liars
should sometimes be applauded for their high motivations, not condemned for
their deceit.

Please tell me whether or not that is what you want me to understand.

Yours Sincerely

John Hewitt