SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jonathan German-Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:41:23 +0100
Hi Erik

If I understand your point correctly, you are advocating a place for religious symbology as a valid method of pre-processing real-world experience. Do you propose that this is a social function in the classification of 'communication'? If this is so then I assume you are proposing that religion is a post-weened programme to promote social integration. A powerful compound-meme.

It seems possible to me that the abstract model of individual consciousness should change as society changes. This could mean that we could develop ourselves until some historical ideology becomes irrelevant. This implies that the historical religious payload of our society diminishes in relevance as centuries pass. Surely e have already seen this with the evolution of Western religious belief to monotheism. The discomfort of a frank look at our barbaric past gives us a clue to our rational future.

IMHO Mr Spock did 'rationalists' no favours. Many non-rationalists could describe a cavalry charge as having a beauty or grandeur. A rationalist would describe it as horrific and destructive. However, a rationalist would readily appreciate the beauty of Beethoven's 9th even if the revolutionary message has disturbing implications. Because of Mr Spock, logic has been popularised as simplistic yet logic equally applies to the most complex (and often beautiful) systems.

Jonathan German-Morris

Plato's Cave: Moral - If you manage to get out of then
cave . . . . Don't go back in and shout about it!