THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:59:18 -0800
>I left a message with the nurse to say that I think I need to up my
>dose of thyroxine ( I was back to falling asleep if I sat for more than 5
>minutes, hair coming out in handfuls, cold, shivers, dry skin etc) and the
>nurse said that I need to LOWER my dosage of thyroxine. Does this make sense
>to anyone? She said to get my numbers lower I need to take less. That is
>completely backwards from what I thought I understood.

That nurse is an idiot!  If you want your TSH lower, you'd need to increase
your meds.  Also, TSH doesn't tell the whole picture of how you are
doing.  To really get the true picture, you'd need Total T3, Total T4, Free
T3, Free T4 as well as TSH.  It is fairly well documented that many people
don't feel at their best until they add T3 to their thyroid medicine
regimen.  In fact, the British Medical Journal published such a study (you
can find a copy on the thyroid.about.com website). You can also find an
article by Dr. Toft there, who is a British physician, who seems to have
come around to the idea of treating thyroid a bit more aggressively.

I would ask to speak only to the Dr., not the nurse.  Arm yourself with
plenty of information.  Let him know what the nurse has told you and that
you know that is wrong.  I'm sorry to say that I've not heard many good
stories about thyroid treatment in the UK, especially if you are on
National Health.  You could try looking at the Top Docs website on
thyroid.about.com (I have no connection with that site.) and find a
physician who has been recommended there.

Hope you get some help soon!

- Kevran (Hashi's hypO)

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.