THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:39:47 EST
In a message dated 1/14/2005 12:01:01 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

While  the TSH blood test is the most sensitive and accurate diagnostic tool
for  thyroid disease,  >>>
I strongly feel that statement, and the countless variations of the same
lie, are causing limitless suffering among people in every part of the  world.
There a many reasons why TSH will not go up in someone who has  Hypothyroidism.
Not the least of these is damage to the pituitary, but even  central nervous
system dysfunction or damage can affect the ability of the brain  to increase
the output of TSH in severe hypothyroidism.

From (almost) Classic Doc Don:

<< Then why, why, why do so many Dr's rely on the TSH so  heavily?  I just
don't
understand it. >>

My theories  are 1. It is easy, quick, and requires no thought or patient
listening.  Rather than listening to a patient's story, getting a good
picture
of their  distress and thinking; many feel that a litmus test is answer.

2. It  works sometimes...sort of. At extremes (in Dr. David Derry's words):
"When  your Graves is so bad that your eyeballs are hanging on your cheeks,
it
will  probably go down. And, when you are an hour or so from Myxedema Coma,
it  may well
go up."

3. I'm not sure who said it, but "No matter how  complex, subtle, intricate a
problem; there is a simple, straight foreword,  easy, and wrong answer."

4. The practice of Medicine has very little to  do with Science. Remember,
this is the same group who brought you  cauterizing stumps of amputees in
boiling oil (frying) from before  Hippocrates until they, by chance, ran out
of boiling oil
during the  American Civil War, and found that the soldiers who didn't get
their stumps  fried, did a lot better.

Medicine is based on tradition, greed, and  prejudice. Have you ever wondered
how we can condemn countries for human  rights violations regarding female
circumcision while countless male infants  were mutilated shortly after birth
with a routine circumcision? Many today  will admit that its biggest
advantage was a fast $200 for the Pediatrician  involved.

Radical Mastectomies for breast cancer (essentially removial of the front  of
the woman's chest wall) was know to be no better than the much more  limited
surgery, for years before the general practice changed.

In  Langer's book, "Solved: The Riddle of Illness," he said that the American

College of Physicians rated over 50 tests to be of no proven value,
obsolete,
or unreliable. Many of those tests are, no doubt, still  big money makers for
labs.

It is truly shameless how your doc  is given advertising about labs, drugs
and
so forth, and then believes it.  If I ever started a Medical School, one
admission criteria would be at least a  B+ in Distrust of Medical Advertising.

Doc Don

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!