THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:45:35 EDT
Regarding high cortisol and it's effect on T4 conversion (to rT3) and on
cellular resistance:

I am not worry about cancer yet.  The logical question the doctor should have
asked (when he saw the high end of "normal" level of cortisol) is whether
there has been stress in my life.  Stress (and anger) have been high -- one cause
just prior to the last test was caring for a friend while her doctors
deliberately deprived her of both the thyroid meds she needed and the hospice care
she wanted so they could squeeze more money out of Medicare right up to the hour
she died in a hypothermic condition in the hospital.

Another test, another time of the day (another day) -- my cortisol was very
low.  I think these are significant and may explain prior high leftover T4
(unconverted), high Reverse T3, and high leftover T3 while on Cytomel with low
temperatures and hypo symptoms until the breakthrough.

Ten years ago one endo tried to prove that my cortisol was "fine" by having
me do a day long (office hours) test in the office.  There was nothing to do
but fall asleep from lack of food, so the readings were with in the range of
so-called "normal" but not my usual.  Saliva tests taken during real life (while
at home or work or with elder family members who are T3 deprived) over a 24
hour period would make more sense to me.

While interviewing the endo to whom I was referred -- to see if he was good
enough to treat me, I tried to see if he knew to deal with cortisol when
treating thyroid.  When he could not come up with it on his own, I asked about it.
His face went blank.  I described my past tests.  Then he jabbered something
about everyone is different as if to dismiss the whole idea.  Don't these guys
get it?

Regarding time-release T3:  I like the Timed-release T3, but if I don't
refrigerate it, I find it tastes rancid.  The only compounding pharmacy I could
find it a distance from here, and I was his first customer with this Rx.  When I
travel I use plain Cytomel and break up the 50 mcgs (my pharmacist only sells
50 mcg and 5 mcg).  It's a bit of a bother to remember, but it seems to work.
I also take the Cytomel segments under the tongue.

Peggy R.

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]