THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Diane Kuhns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:04:18 EST
In a message dated 3/12/02 11:49:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can someone tell me the approx. cost of Glucophage per month as well?  Is
> anyone taking Glucophage that is not diabetic?

A doctor may prescribe Glucophage if you are insulin resistant or if you over
produce insulin after eating.

The basic and the least expensive test for this is a Postprandial sugar blood
test and an insulin test.   You go in fasting and they take blood for both
blood sugar and insulin.   Then you go out and eat breakfast or lunch.  Some
doctors like you to really push it and eat a high carbohydrate high sugar
meal.  Others will tell you to eat what you want.   Two hours after you have
eaten, you go in and have the same blood tests drawn.

If your postprandial blood sugar or insulin are high, the doctor may
prescribe glucophage.

I had the same thing done in December as the doctor thought I might need
glucophage.  All of my tests (blood sugar and insulin) came back perfectly
normal.  In my case my fasting glucose is low (not abnormally low just low)
75, my postprandial blood sugar was 100.  I had a sandwich, fries and a
salad.  My insulin both before and after eating was well within normal range.

Since I am not a candidate for glucophage, I have started taking glucosol 24
which does help stabilize both blood sugar and insulin.   You can buy it on
the internet.

Gail K

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!