THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hilary Willsher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 09:21:39 +0100
From: "Donald Michaelmd" <[log in to unmask]>

>anxiety is like the "check engine" light. It only says something's
wrong.

These words of wisdom from Doc Don were so reassuring,
coinciding, as they did, with a report from my endo (who is also
Professor of Endocrinology at the local medical school)
to my general practitioner, which said of me:

"... Severe  fatigue and loss of sleep pattern are the primary
features. In addition she suffers from palpitation, paraesthesia, and
thermolabilty. The picture, at least her perception of it, is somewhat
complicated by the diagnosis of Hashimoto's. Her thyroid peroxidase
auto antibody is raised but the serum TSH has never been higher than
9. I think this is characteristic of anxiety state characterised by
variable expression of autonomic function. I therefore recommend that
she stops all thryoid replacement until the serum TSH crosses 15
mIU/L."

It's very difficult to know where to turn (especially within the
confines of the National Health Service here in the UK, where it's not
so easy to 'hire & fire' your medical advisers!) for the correct tests
and subsequent treatment when medical practitioners with such power
are making statements such as these.

Hilary Willsher