THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:45:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/2004 1:13:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
has anyone here been treated successfully by a
physicial following or at least keeping in the spirit of these methods? >>>>
Broda Barnes had some excellent ideas, and I started treating Hypothyroidism
following his guidelines. They make a lot more sense than the lab tests used
alone. And, an accurate basal temperature really is better than anything that
the labs do today.

I have a lot of patients who are managed, to some extent, using his model.
"Standard of Practice" currently seems to be ignore the patient, and treat the
TSH or other lab. This is a terrible idea, and causes a tremendous amount of
suffering.

The most common lament that I have heard of thyroid List Serves or Bulletin
Boards is some form of "my doctor treats my labs and ignores me."

Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome is an excellent model for about 20-30% of the
patients who I see.  Wilson seems to have the knack of saying the most outrageous
things...that turn out to be true.

While I am not quite as compulsive as Wilson in my treatment protocol, his
basic ideas are quite sound, and when used in conjunction with careful patient
selection and history taking, are unsurpassed in the treatment of a subset of
Hypothyroid patients. His ideas explain how you can have any level of T3, T4,
and TSH, and still be functionally Hypothyroid.

Doc Don

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.