THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denel Wardell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:01:02 -0700
Hi.  I am new here...hopefully you guys can help me.  I will try to be brief.
I think I have had trouble with my thyroid for years.  About 8 years ago within 2
months preceding my wedding, I gained 60 lbs.  Yes, that was 60 lbs in 2 months.  I
have gained another 40 lbs since then, and no matter what I did, have been
unsuccessful in taking the weight off...with one exception.  Several years ago I was
diagnosed with hypothyroid by my doctor and was placed on medication.  I started
to lose weight, and a lot of things in my life started going better.  But, my doctor
retired.  I got a new doctor, ran out of meds, needed a refill, the new doctor
performed a test twice (one about a week after I ran out of meds, the other about a
month after), and he said my thyroid was normal and would not refill the meds.
Within a matter of months, I gained all the weight back plus some.  I have had
problems ever since.
This last year my problems have gotten worse, and again changed doctors.  My new
doctor performed a series of tests, but I do not know how to read the results.  He
says that the "tests at or close to normal. (OK)"
I went on a medical site for thyroids and there was a list of symptoms there.  There
were a total of 16 symptoms listed, and I have 13 of them.  Out of the 3 I do not
currently have, one I cannot guage, one I do have periodically, and the last one I
don't think I have any problem with.
I keep hearing that my depression and problems with my menstrual cycle, and other
problems are due to my weight (I am now 107 lbs over what my normal weight use
to be).  But, then when I ask why I keep gaining weight, I am told that many people
gain weight when they are depressed.  I can't win.  I was on meds for my
depression, and they did not help me...as a matter of fact, they made me sicker.
The doctor kept saying I needed a higher dose, and kept increasing it, until I finally
took myself off them (and that was when I changed doctors again).  The only time I
have found any improvement in my health is when I was on the thyroid meds.
I know this is not a medical advise list, but I wanted to know if any of you have
experienced what I am experiencing, and if it is possible to have problems with your
thyroid even though your test results are considered "acceptable"?  Do any of you
know of how I can improve my thyroid without meds, since doctors won't subscribe
the meds?
Any insight you can give would be very helpful I am sure.
Thank you.

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.