THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:15:01 +0800
From: "James Beatty" <[log in to unmask]>

> Had over active thyroid, unusual side effect with pottassium being
stripped
> from body resulting in complete paralysis to legs and arms  diagnosed
with
> graves   1999 , stabilised with pills then had RAI in 2000, no
problems so
> far but have to take 50 mgs thyroxin daily to keep stabilised which is
ok.

this condition, thyrotoxic hypokalemic periodic paralysis is sometimes
the only presenting symptom of hyperthyroidism. this is common to
orientals but not caucasians.  the hypokalemia (low blood potassium)
resolves once the thyroid is controlled.

greg

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.