THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:35:55 EDT
From:   Gloria <[log in to unmask]>

I have been waiting for more responses from Theresa's question about
"Natural Remedies for HYPERthyroidism".

At your level of TSH, most doctors would not have thought you hypothyroid,
unless they also ran T4 and T3.  (Maybe you should get your records and see if
the doctor did.)  When I was told I was hypo, I heard in the background one
nurse asking another if high TSH meant hypo, which it does, or the other way
around.  If the doctor didn't test T4 and T3, then it could simply have been his
mistake in understanding that low TSH meant hypo.  I would think if you got
your records and the doctor did TSH only you would have the basis to sue for
financial damages that he did.

As for natural cure for hyper, I don't know if there is one.  However, though
not permanent, there are things that can suppress the thyroid.  It's too much
T3 that makes you hyper.  So, one way would be take things that interfere
with iodine in the thyroid.  There are goiterogenic vegetables that do this, and
make people hypothyroid if eaten raw and in large quantities.  (Amount you
would have to eat I have no idea.)  But, these include the cabbage family,
broccoli, turnips, walnuts, kale, cohlarabi, mustard greens, rutabaga,and soy.
Note, of these soy may not be good to eat since it causes problems with absorption
of some vitamins and minerals and its opponents list many, many reasons to
avoid it that sound logical.  Also, you may be overcome their suppressive
effects if you get adequate iodine to do so, which means if you live by the ocean
and eat seafood and vegetables grown locally.  Other things that interfere with
thyroid function include fluoride and chlorine.  (But, since fluoride in the
form found in our water is not natural, but a factory by-product, I'm not sure
you would call that natural.)  Anyway, they used to use fluoride as one way to
control hyperthyroidism.

Iodine can be used in some, but this is tricky.  Lugol's solution is a form
that in some will slow the thyroid down at the right dosage.  (A drop is safe
for most people, and some claim a good thing for your average person to take
daily, but since your thyroid needs little of this in your lifetime, 2 drops is
a lot and when you get much beyond that effects are unpredictable and vary
with the individual.)

As for medications, barbituates containing cyanide slow the thyroid down
(cyanide is also in cigarrettes), anti-diabetic agents do also, sufa drugs,
prednisone inhibits T4 to T3 conversion in large doses, and estrogen in
"pharmacological doses."

Salycilates, which I think include aspirin, tylenol and motrin also can
interfere with thyroid function. I think they lower TSH artificially.  Which lowers
thyroid hormone and for some might alter their TSH tests so they don't show
up as hypo when they are.  Oil of Wintergreen,a rubbing linament has
salycilates and will lower T4 in the blood.

Skipper

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!