THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:40:41 -0700
Vijitha wrote:
> Last year I delivered a 1 month premature baby(1.5 kg) and he was abnormal and
> died within minutes even before I  saw him. <snip>... A few months back it is
> found in my blood test, T3,T4 normal but TSH very high. Now I am taking
> Eltroxine(Thyroxine Sodium Tablets)everyday. My doctor advised me not to
> become pregnant for the next 3 months.
~~~~~~~~~

Vijitha, I agree with your doctor.  Hypothyroidism CAN lead to birth
defects, and I would certainly wait until your lab tests appear "normal" and
your hypothyroid SYMPTOMS have gone away.  It can take 6 weeks for T4
(Eltroxine) to stabilize in the blood, and may take much longer for your
symptoms to disappear.  You need to be sure you are getting enough thyroid
hormone, AND that your body is using it.

Dr. Robert Alford (M.D. - now retired) wrote:

QUOTE

"When the mother is hypothyroid, she is unable to maintain the incubator at
an optimal developmental temperature and fetal development suffers, probably
also being the cause for many of the spontaneous early abortions as well as
some congenital defects.

"As the pregnancy progresses, the fetal thyroid gland comes on board
functionally at about five months and its temperature control center
stimulates its thyroid gland to produce more hormone to increase the
incubator temperature. As a result of this excessive stimulation, two things
happen. Mother feels better with the boost to her metabolic rate and the
child ends up hypothyroid to the same relative degree that mother is. The
deficiency is also the cause of a very high percentage of premature
deliveries."

"The only way to solve this problem is with appropriate thyroid
supplementation during pregnancy, or as early in life as possible.

"In about 1972, I began using T3 with all pregnancies, which fit the
increased production of rT3 during pregnancy, as stated above. I had started
with thyroxine some ten or twelve years earlier. The first T3 used was that
in Thyrolar, later switching to T3 alone or in combination as tests and
clinical findings indicated. It was then that I began to have what I
considered more truly normal children. They matured faster from day one on
average and as they developed, they showed evidences of being more
intelligent and smarter, happier, more active and muscular, more resistant
to infection, better able to get along with their peers and always
surrounded by friends. They tended to be leaders more by example than
coercion. They evidence what I called, for want of a better term, "animal
magnetism." The boys were more masculine and girls more feminine. Some were
overweight until puberty when they began to slim down and become true
mesomorphs.

"A truly legitimate study would require that one group be supplemented to as
close to the euthyroid state as possible, and compared to a group receiving
the best prenatal care possible under todays standards without any
supplementation. It would, however, be most unfair to those in the control
group."

END QUOTE

Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]