THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:27:33 EDT
 They just show TSH.  For TSH it shows the
> acceptable range
>  is 0.47-5.01.  They don't say how to read it.  If you have under .47, are
> you
>  hypothyroid, and over 5.01, hyperthyroid?  Or do I have that reversed?

Some doctors would use the definition meaning that one is not hypothyroid
unless their TSH is elevated.  Symptoms don't matter, only TSH.  The Canadian
Thyroid Foundation comes out and says on the web site it doesn't matter if
you have hypo symptoms, TSH is always right.  The Thyroid Foundation of
America wasnt' that bad last time I checked they but they did say body
temperature didn't matter.

>  I understand that meds for hypothyroidism actually do something about the
>  hormones that your thyroid is suppose to produce.
They are the same chemical formula and replace or supplement your natural
hormone.  Armour is natural and has T4 and T3, Synthroid type products have
T4 only and are synthetic, I've heard it said from petroleum products.

 Does anyone know (or have
>  heard) of natural supplements (vitamins, minerals, or herbs) that a person
> can take
>  to help the thyroid?
Side effects are minimal with thyroid replacement, it's a natural substance
in your body.  Doctors give prozac, claritin and many other drugs that are
not natural with no labs.  Thyroid cures some of the they cover up.

Natural is difficult for this.  But if you have a vitamin deficiency, that
could be the reason you are hypo.  On the other side, if you are vitamin
deficient it's because the thyroid helps to absorb and metabolize vitamins.
Vitamin A is very important to the thyroid, but if your thyroid is low it's
hard to get because we don't convert beta carotene to Vitamin A very well so
that means we need a meat source (especially beef liver) or a vitamin pill.
Vitamin C, B complex, selenium are helpful also.

Call around to find a doc willing to treat based on symptoms.  Or, at the
very least call and ask the pharmacies who prescribes Armour Thyroid because
those doctors are a lot more likely to be open minded.  You can also call the
doctor's offices and ask relevant questions.  Mine has treated me well.  Or
go to Doc Don or another thyroid top doctor from Mary Shomon's list, but call
them first to understand their philosophy and billing, just because they are
on her list only means a patient liked them, it doesn't even mean they
prescribe Armour or treat based on symptoms.

Skipper Beers