THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:13:03 EDT
From:   Declan O'Mahony <[log in to unmask]>

Where can I find out what level of supplementation with iodine is safe and
or appropriate for a sub clinical under active thyroid gland?

You could do a search for Dr. David Derry.  He did a lot of research on
iodine and the thyroid.  He determined one drop of Lugol's solution is safe for
everybody.  (If you find a newspaper article sayind 5 drops, that's an incorrect
quote.)

Note iodine can improve your thyroid function, if you are low in iodine.  If
you have adequate intake it may do nothing for your thyroid.  Derry and others
say it has properties that help with immunity and prevent cancer.

However, it's not a good idea for someone with Hashimoto's to take iodine. It
can make some people hyper, but that would be corrected by stopping.  It can
make a person more hypothyroid.  Or at least more tired, I've tried taking it
on a regular basis and it just makes me real tired.  (So do antibiotics, I
don't know the reason.)  The point is the reaction to supplemental iodine is
different, and until you try you won't know the effect it has on you.

Many people say no one in America or the civilized world are likely to have
an iodine deficiency, living in the goiter belt, I know it's not as unlikely as
they say, since not everyone eats fast food laden with iodine or seafood or
other sources of iodine.  But, iodine was not advatageous for me.  But, I take
it if I suspect I ate contaminated food, I fall into a river while kayaking
and I think the water isn't that clean, and for other reasons and in the short
run it's fine for me.

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]