THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:27:53 EDT
> From:   baron chat <[log in to unmask]>
>
>   is derry one of them, or is he
> being specific to people who are WELL and do not have a thyroid
> disease

For those who receive adequate thyroid treatment, Derry says their thyroid is
"shut off" and so the iodine goes to the other places it is needed for
immunity.  The "shut off" comment may imply the TSH is suppressed.  Derry treated
aggressively with Armour.   It took 3 grains to have any effect at all on the
old BMR test (they put you in a tent and measured your respiration, a function
of the thyroid) and since this measured thyroid output, that probably meant 3
grains would also be necessary to alleviate symptoms.  I know at least one of
his patients said that he started them on 3 grains.  At that level, TSH is
probably surpressed and the thyroid probably doesn't accept any more iodine.  (T4
includes 4 molecules of iodine so the thyroid has its supply.)

As for me, I have taken Lugol's Iodine Solution for periods of time.  I've
taken up to 24 drops a day for a few weeks.  At that dose, or even only a drop a
day, it tends to increase my fatigue level.  Some things that remove toxins
from your system, do make you tired for a period of time.  Maybe it has an
effect on the mercury in my system, I do have a large block of mercury fillings
which I've been wondering if I should have removed.  (Something a dentist named
Huggins mentioned about labs and those affected by mercury commonly having low
cholesterol, and it messing with coenzyme A which is part of the path that
creates cholesterol, steroids, ketones and bile, and my thinking all those are
low in me.  Mercola says only 10% of the population have cholesterol below 180
and mine is 110- - 120.  I think ketones low because on ATkins diet, it is
hard for me to go in ketosis at all, I have a cortisol level that's generally
around 12 on hydrocortisone with my last ACTH reading being 99.)

Those thyroid patients on iodine free diets would have to have enough thyroid
meds to compensate for not having the substance to create any of their own
thyroid hormone.  It would keep their thyroid function adequate, however, there
would be none for other purposes.  Which is also a controversial issue.  Many
sources say it has no other function.  Yet, it's been used in hospitals
because it is anti-bacterial and anti-viral.  Hard to believe it doesn't have any
other effect in the body.

Skipper

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!