THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:20:37 +0800
From: "David Brown (dbrown)" <[log in to unmask]>

Doc Don and Chuck:

David,

I'm not Doc Don nor Chuck..

<SNIP>
*
If my T4 is in the normal range, why should I supplement it?  I am not
arguing with you -- just want to understand a bit what is going on.<SNIP>

    Some Drs. try to bring the T4 in the high range of Normal-- some
slightly higher in order to have an optimal range of T3. These two-- while
they go up or down proportionately, they do have diferences in magnitude.
Also, these hormone levels vary even during the day. What is important is
how one feels at the quality of life one is in at a particular level. If you
feel you are okay based on your physical daily routine i.e., you are active,
not feeling cold, not prone to infections, then, you must be 50% okay. If
other biochemical markers that has to do with a normal thyroid are within
range for a healthy person-- i.e., cholesterol levels and profile (HDL, LDL,
Triglycerides), Blood Sugar, then, you must be 75% alright. If you do not
show signs of the psychological effects of underactive thyroid-- tendency to
depression, mental sluggishness, early signs of senility, then, you must be
close to 100% of normal. If not, your Dr. may have a good reason to put you
on replacement for T4 because he/she may have been looking for the above
signs as well and couldn't justify not giving you thyroid replacement.
There's nothing wrong with that. If you search the archives you'd see lots
of posters literally begging their Drs. for treatment and which is denied to
them despite their symptoms.

BTW, I've come across one of your previous questions-- recalling it from
memory. You asked if being physically fit and active affects these hormone
levels. I've read from older studies which I do not have handy right now--
that strenous physical activity as seen in athletes brings about a
"compensatory hypothyroidism" as shown by their slower heart rates and lower
hormone levels after exercise.

Lastly, as we age the thyroid slows down together with other hormone
systems. I think this is the way we are programmed and the reason there is
what is called "retirement". Of course there are ways now to extend onset of
this through proper hormone(s) replacement.

To your good health..

Greg

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.