THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Holly Jagger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:13:31 -0400
Susan and List,
Your post caused me to sit up a little straighter, caught my attention.  I
have cervical strain, muscle spasms and soft tissue injury in my neck and
upper back, due to being rearended in a motor vehicle accident (8/00).  As a
result of pain, etc., my upper trapezius has deconditioned, and my first rib
now elevates and presses on my clavicle.  What is pinched in between, is the
brachial plexus--all the nerves and blood supply going to my hand.

 My osteopathic physician calls it 'thoracic outlet dysfunction' of the
neurogenic type.  And your husband's situation sounds like a friend of mine,
who began his own business, typing 16 to 18 hours a day, resulting in
somewhat the same scenario.  Mine due to MVA, his due to excessive
keyboarding with rounded shoulders.

I began on Synthroid in March, with the idea that pain might be lessened a
bit.  Not the case with me.  The synthroid is helping me, I think, but not
with the injury itself.  The only relief I get is with osteopathic
manipulation--Dr. takes pressure off the nerves, by adjusting my first rib
back into position.  (it is amazing, the sudden relief I get!).  It is
extremely difficult to rehabilitate these kinds of injuries.

As for cortef, we have had some discussion here re: the interplay between
cortisol and T4-T3 conversion.  I already take Cortef and a bit of
prednisone and florinef for my Adrenal insufficiency (Addisons' Disease), so
as long as I am not underreplaced, it should not be an issue for me, I
guess.

I do have Lots of Questions for my endo in October...!

Please email me if your husband would like to connect with my friend
regards
Holly