THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Ahneman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:36:18 EDT
    If I could find a top notch endo I would certainly do that.   I haven't
found one yet that knows what they're talking about.  We have received our
thyroid treatment from a medical doctor (ex-pathologist) that believes in Armour,
Chelation, vitamins, amino acids, etc.  In other words, build the immune
system back up.
    When my 14 year old child was ice cold in May, couldn't get to sleep and
then  couldn't wake up after he finally got to sleep.  The psychiatrist
diagnosed depression, but had the wisdom to advise a visit to an Endo rule out low
thyroid.  The Endo, in her infinite wisdom, said that slightly out of range/low
T4 and T3 high, but in range could not possibly cause these symptoms.  So,
began the merry-go-round with anti-depressants, which made a cold, ill child
have thoughts of suicide and loss of emotion.
   By that October was desparately searching for help for my child.  Had been
to other doctors that said these thyroid results could not cause these
symptoms.  That was when I found this group and was told to run, not walk for
thyroid help for my child and not stop until we found help.  I found Dr. Ali in
Denville, NJ thru this group and he saved my son by prescribing Armour.  Within 30
minutes of his first Armour pill, my child warmed up.  The anti-depressants
were discontinued the next day, even though most people need to wean off them.

    Paxil and Zoloft are excellent medications when used correctly, but
combined with low thyroid (not treating the underlying condition), they can be a
death sentence by removing self-control.  And have long lasting (4 years
already) side effects.
    We have  since moved and have not yet found a dr here that can help,
which is why I am pursuing the adrenal extract route.  If you know of someone
prescribing Cortef, etc in the Wilmington, NC area please email me.
   Many thanks for the book, other info, and continuing support.
Laurie