THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:44:32 -0500
From: "Gail Diane Kuhns" <[log in to unmask]>
 Using protein, fat and complex carbohydrate and avoiding
> white sugar, white flour, white rice and white noodles and using whole
grain
> versions of these moderately along with low glycemic vegetables and fruit
> will help you balance your blood sugar levels and lose weight faster.

Some of my worst postprandial hypoglycemia jackpots have been with whole
grains mixed 50% with protein.  Whole grains contain the same amount of
starch as white grains.  Brown whole grains have some beneficial goodies in
them, but they also contain sttarch.  Starch (cooked) breaks down very
quickly to release glucose,  Weight for weight starch releases twice as much
glucose as does table sugar sucrose (fructosyl glucose).  After all starch
is a polymer of glucose alpha glycosidic  linked and susceptible to rapid
physiologic breakdown.  Fructose does not convert to glucose and is
tolerated by diabetics.  I've tested various foods by eating a certain
amount and measuring the glucose/insulin response with a KMart glucometer.
Results are: (1)   brown = white grains,  (2) milk products give a slow
benign response which does not set off the big insulin release [lactose is
broken down in gut to galactose and glucose slowly],. (2)  protein such as
eggs, meat, cheese gives no response (3) candies etc. act ~like starches in
their response.

If one is unsure about their hypoglycemic episodes, it's eye-opening to run
the  postprandial glucose tests by measuring before one eats, and at 15
minute intervals during eating and after eating, tapering off to half hour
intervals at 3 hr, and hour intervals at 5-6 hours.  At times my glucose
levels run as low as 50 6 hours after ingestion of starchy foods.

The best treatment for me is weight control and exercise.  It works like a
charm.

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.