THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dawn Preston-Alden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:01:33 -0500
Hi!
I'm on Glucophage.  I started out hypothyroid (RAI, 1988) and have been
taking Armour for several years.   Am I now diabetic because of the
thyroid issue?  I think so.  I've run into a lot of hypo people that are
now diabetic.
I had gestational diabetes three years ago and ended up Type 2 about one
year ago.
There is no test for insulin resistance.  The MD would probably do a
fasting blood sugar to check for diabetes or glucose intolerance (126+ is
diabetic range, 110-125 glucose intolerant).  You can do a search on PCOS,
there are some indicators there for PCOS, perhaps for your daughter or
even for yourself.
Glucophage is not a weight loss aid.  You MIGHT lose 5-10 pounds
initially.  Generally because of the diarrhea and nausea it causes.  I've
heard of some people that gain weight.  Believe me, you don't want to take
this medication just to lose weight.  The medication is to lower blood
sugar if there is a need.  Most people that lose a lot of weight on it do
low carb diets (or carb modified diet).  The weight loss comes from the
diet not the meds.  I think a lot of people have that misconception about
it.

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]