THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Diane Kuhns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:43:13 EST
In a message dated 2/21/02 9:57:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> OK, my question for Doc Don, Greg, Gail, Skipper
> or whoever is:
> What are the tests besides T4 that tells if you have a
> pituitary problem?
> And, if one does have hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia,
> etc., due to a pituitary problem, what is the solution?

Probably the same solution as I have had to use.  I am hypoadrenal,
hypogonadal, and hypothyroid.  My problems are caused by Long periods of
extreme stress, Hashimoto's, menopause, and years of steroid use for severe
reactive asthma.

My current doctor uses the following tests, TSH, Free T3, Free T4, DHEA,
Growth Hormone, Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone.  I had an ACTH test
last year which showed low AM fasting adrenals and a blunted response.
Finally both my regular doctor and my pulmonary doctor have agreed to keep me
on a low dose of prednisone (usually 5-10 mg a day) rather than have me go
through the adrenal collapse cycle which always occurs within 30 days of
completely weaning from prednisone.

My state of alertness is compromised by various other medications I must take
for pain for  a chronic and severe case of post herpetic neuralgia.

The estrogen and the teegretol and the prednisone as well as the Niacin I
must take to keep my cholesterol in the normal range all combine to make it
difficult for me find the ideal dose of thyroid hormone.  I currently am on
175-200 mcg of Synthroid and between 25 and 50 mcg of Cytomel.   The lower
dose is for summer,  The higher for the dead of winter.

Gail K

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.