THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:50:50 EST
> From:   baron chat <[log in to unmask]>

>>In this instance i meant the supplement industry.

Yes, iodine in supplements can hurt, maybe as often as they help those
seeking thyroid support.  I know there are people in this country who are
hypothyroid from lack of iodine, I have no idea what that real percentage is.  But, that
report from the CDC that claimed 6% of pregnant women were below the safety
level is somewhat a concern, since it affects the health of the baby.

> >>noted.  however, i don't consider iodized salt necessarily good for
> >>consumption anyway,

You may be right, especially since chloride in salt is a halogen, which
competes with iodine.  This minimizes the iodine's effectiveness to a degree.  As
for seafood, if it really is as contaminated with mercury as people like Dr.
Mercola report from other's research, getting the iodine may cause problems from
mercury ingestion.

Sometimes, I think the ruling powers don't particularly care about our
health.

As to your point about cleansing, and the effects of fatigue and pain being
short term matters, if I do have toxins, the toxin would be the mercury from my
fillings.  I have a significant number.  Since mercury vapor is constantly
released by chewing, etc, if iodine was having some cleansing effect, and this
was causing fatigue, since the mercury is being replaced as vapor is released,
it could still be fatigue from the cleansing process and might never change.

On alt.support.thyroid, one woman talked about her experience with having
trouble breathing.  Her doctor told her to have her fillings removed.  She did,
and she could breathe decently again.  I'm thinking, that even when I'm in good
enough shape to roller blade six miles without much of a problem, but breathe
in a labored manner all the way through it, or any other physical activity,
that my remaining problems that thyroid haven't fixed might be from mercury.
The mercury hangs on to your hemoglobin, which affects real oxygen
availability.   In addition, a correct response to mercury in the system, might be
elevated cholesterol since cholesterol can take it out of the body.  My cholesterol
is quite low, so it could be why I'm more at risk for problems from mercury.

As for multvitamins, even without iodine, I feel worse when I take them.
Even taking a B complex makes me feel worse, I have no idea why.  I take Vitamin
C, and that seems helpful.  But, many vitamins have a negative impact on me.

As for your comment  "one should try to discover if iodine or the lack
thereof, is the cause of their condition before taking it", I agree one does need to
be careful with iodine because it can exacerbate symptoms.  It can make some
hyper, some more hypo.  However, I don't think of either condition as fatal.
If one is hyper, Inderall can calm the heart rate down quite fast, I assume as
one doesn't continue to take the iodine, the Inderall would be able to
correct any dangerous condition in a short time.  (One good reason to have it on
hand, people have been known to not remember whether they took their daily
thyroid dose or not, the effects of taking a double dose can be mitigated by taking
Inderall, without an emergency room visit.)  Furthermore, I've never heard of
a patient's iodine level being tested at the time of thyroid diagnosis.
Thyroid meds contain iodine, so if a patient is on thyroid meds, their iodine
probably won't read low.  I'm not sure there's any procedure in place to tell
someone that their iodine level is low.  So, without increasing the level, how are
they supposed to find out?  Sometimes, "the proof is in the pudding."  Or, in
getting better by the route taken.

You know, some people on Hashimoto's say they can't even eat seafood due to
the iodine content.  They might think you are getting too much.

You are right, people should know about the potential for negative effects
from iodine.  After that, it should be up to them to decide their course of
action.  I'm not sure any more the majority of doctors add value to health care.
With thyroid medication, my family's medical visits (except for my wife's work
related injury) are quite infrequent.  Hard for a doctor to make that much
money on us.  We see Doc Don every six months.   Beyond that, I'm not sure we
need any medical visits.   If we're sick, it's most likely a virus they can't do
anything about.  If there are ear infections, I suspect hydrogen peroxide in
the ears makes more sense than an antibiotic.  Too bad I didn't know that when
my children went monthly for ear infections.  I gargle with hydrogen peroxide
now, haven't had a sore throat since I started this, and I used to get them
frequently in the winter.  Some say it can cure strep throat in a short time.

There's lots of old cures that are almost free and safer than the modern
equivalent.  I can't say if the use of Lugol's Solution is one of those, since it
has never actually cured anything for me.  However, taking a few thousand mg
of Vitamin C every hour has cured a serious infection or two.  Cheaper than an
office visit and an antibiotic.  I've seen honey work really well on burns
(but, if it's too bad, doctor visit is advised.)  Crushing up garlic and
ingesting it immediately makes it an antibiotic.  I feel better when taking a clove or
two this way daily, it's too bad my wife objects.  The sulfer in it is
probably good for those with mercury in their system, since mercury binds to sulfer
which makes a person need more.

There's probably no cure without some risk.  Home remedies don't always work
and have probably had fatal consequences at times, but doctors are the third
leading cause of death I think, by their own admission.  They are not making us
healthier.  In fact, I think they generally do just the opposite.

Skipper