THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:07:44 EST
Greetings to all!

I haven't written to the group in a long time.  I wanted to share something
out of my own experience (with some readings on the side).

I had my fourth annual bone-density scan last month.  The main thing was a
noted decrease (5.5%) in Bone Mineral Density in the lumbar spine area.  It's at
the level of osteopenia, not (yet) osteoporosis.  So most doctors would look
at that, and at the fact that I'm doing Sustained-Release T3 replacement
therapy, and say "HA!  Told you so!  You're hyperthyroid, and now you're paying the
price!"

So I did some checking on MedLine today.  Anyone who has searched
"Osteoporosis and Hyperthroidism" knows that there is no firm conclusion to be drawn as
to the effect of suppressive doses of exogenous thyroid replacement hormone (as
opposed to just hyperthyoridism, as in Grave's Disease).  Yet it seems from
the literature that even where Bone Mineral Density has been reduced in someone
taking gobs of exogenous thyroid hormone, the bone loss is in the "Cortical"
(whatever that means, I don't know if I'm even saying it right) bones == the
hip and forearm, and NOT in the lumbar spine.

How ya' like them apples?

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Edward Reisman

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.