THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:00:19 EST
From:   "Donald Michael, Md" <[log in to unmask]>
did good on an Atkins diet, but the boredom and terminal constipation made me
quit.

I haven't been on Atkins for a while.  However, it doesn't have to be boring
as some people make it.  (Unless not boring equals rolls, donuts, pasta, and
baked goods.)

Atkins talks about daily salads even on the quick weight loss portion of his
diet.  When I'm on the diet, I still eat things like strawberries or
blackberries with low carb sweetener and whip cream and still lose.

Along with your meat, unless you're in strict weight loss mode, and you don't
have to be to lose weight there are many vegetables you can eat along with
meat and low glycemic fruits like blackbetties, blueberries, and strawberries.

> Adult onset diabetes also runs in my family. My hypothesis is that a lot of
> people with Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome (WTS) tend to have Insulin Resistance.

Does this have something to do with their high cortisol levels?

I lost on Atkins in spite of low cortisol and an inability to go into
ketosis.  My wife on the other hand, would go into deep ketosis almost instantly.
Was this because cortisol helps with protein digestion and those with high
cortisol should eat protein instead of carbs, to give the high cortisol some useful
purpose?

The Atkins diet did not affect my glucose level.  Before thyroid treatment my
fasting glucose was low, after thyroid treatment it was normal and about the
same whether on the Atkins diet or not.  Which means protein is as good as
carbs  at providing the glucose the body and brain need to function.

> This all makes sense only if you realize that like WTS, Insulin Resistance
> is
> a major survival advantage during a famine. If you have not eaten in 4
> weeks,
> your blood surgar will not be as low as other people's, and when food is
> available you will pack on the weigh really fast. Both these things are
> great for
> famines and fatal in a society where too much food is the problem.

Which again really has to do with high cortisol levels, doesn't it?  My wife,
with high cortisol, without thyroid treatment, at times when her cortisol
levels kicked up because I don't think they were always high, could gain weight
on almost no food.  I've also noticed that if she eats a little sugar, flour or
caffine, it gives her energy that lasts for hours, but barely has any effect
on me.  I'm not sure if this is the cortisol or the catecholamines that kick
in and give her this energy.

I lost easily on the Atkins diet.  My wife had more difficulty.  When I
posted that somewhere, someone told me that some people that had difficulty losing
on Atkins had to alternate their diet.  They would go  low carb for a couple
weeks, then eat regularly for a couple weeks.  This is ultimately what she had
to do in order to lose, I don't know why but staying on the diet steadily
didn't work.

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]