THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:19:16 EST
From:   Nathan G <[log in to unmask]>
I just got some test results back:

>TSH - 0.17 - "dangerously low"
>Free T3 - 6.41 - "normal"
>Free T4 - 22.3 - "high"

> I feel better on this dose than on any other dose I've tried
>so far (100, 125, 137, 150) but, curiously, my TSH has never been this
l>ow.

I think if it were me, I would stay on the dose you're on.  It seems doctors
succeed in being morons about this all over the world.

Here's a good discussion of the risk of low TSH.  It's not good to be hyper,
but if you don't have elevated heart rate, elevated temp, increased appetite
it's not likely you are.

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic1145.htm

Risks of excess thyroid hormone
Low serum thyrotropin (TSH) concentrations may be transient and innocent.
Studies of euthyroid and subclinical hyperthyroid patients with low TSH levels
demonstrate that many had normal TSH levels upon retesting 2-3 weeks later.

The risk for a patient with a low TSH and normal T4 and T3 levels is the risk
of subclinical hyperthyroidism. Some subclinical hyperthyroidism disappears
and some slowly progresses.

The only defined risk associated with subclinical hyperthyroidism is a higher
prevalence of atrial fibrillation (or other tachyarrhythmias) and a higher
prevalence of thrombotic events.

Previously, osteoporosis was thought to be a risk; however, more recent
studies have not consistently confirmed this hypothesis.

The risks associated with a slightly low level of TSH in otherwise healthy
patients are low, and changing their thyroid dose is often not necessary.
Because TSH levels vary on a daily basis, changing doses frequently may complicate
and raise the cost of therapy. Compliance with daily dosing is a major reason
for TSH changes in individual patients (which a careful history reveals) and
thus militates against prescribing a new dose of medication.

Skipper