THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:17:31 +0800
From: "histopresto" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: carbohydrates and hypothyroidism

> Two
> months later I crashed. I was exhausted, confused, slurring speech,
losing
> sensation in my extremities, sleeping 16 hours a day and freezing
under
> five blankets. I asked to see the endo and they insisted that I go g
> et a
> TSH test before bothering her. The TSH level was over 450 and that got
the
> endo's attention, enough so that I briefly became an interesting case
> show her students. I missed a month of work, spent months getting a T4
> regimen balanced enough to function, and still didn't feel great.

I beg to disagree, but this does not qualify as an interesting case.
Hypothyroidism is expected after burning the gland except in rare cases
where there are other hyperfunctioning thyroid tissue somewhere else in
the body.

> In the two months
> that I've been taking it, I have noticed that I don't have the big
energy
> crashes so often. However, the PCOS crowd on the internet also seem to
> think that Glucophage is the magic weight loss bullet too- I've seen
no
> signs of that. Seems to me that the stuff would cost more if it could
work
> those kind of miracles.

Two things you need for an efficient metabolism -- the fuel which is
thyroid and the substrate which is glucose. The Metformin (Glucophage)
may be addressing your PCOS and Insulin Resistance, but without an
efficient metabolism there won't be an efficient generation of energy.
If too much thyroid, the substrate glucose and others would burn just to
produce "heat" (hyperthermia) and the person would show signs of excess
thyroid.

Greg

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]