In a message dated 1/7/01 11:01:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

Thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of families, were broken up because
the way the psychoanalytic concept of repression was used. I think that
"dangerous" is an appropriate term to describe what happened.

After that came repressed memories of abuse by satanic cults, patients
who were supposed to have had dissociative identity disorders with (in
many patients) literally thousands of alters.

In these cases, it is not the theory that is dangerous, but obviously its
application.
We should theorize why so many people got so stupid!  Perhaps, we should look
more closely at our concepts of human nature.

Vunch